[pypy-dev] PyOpenCL wants to move from cffi to pybind11

Matti Picus matti.picus at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 19:48:29 EDT 2018

PyOpenCL allows one to write kernels for OpenCL in python and uses numpy
arrays as the data to pass around. They now use cffi bindings, but are
thinking of moving to PyBind11.

https://lists.tiker.net/pipermail/pyopencl/2018-August/002395.html

They claim 1500 less code lines and a 2x speedup (on cpython). It seems
this is a step backwards for us, PyBind11 uses the python c-api to wrap
C++ code and I do not see how we can make that JIT freindly. On the
other hand, I do not know how easy it is to move form PyBind11 to cppyy.
Any thoughts? I used to follow their codebase closely, now I just lurk
on the mailing list, and do not use the package myself.

Matti