[pypy-dev] NumPyPy vs NumPy

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Fri Jul 29 05:12:48 EDT 2016

Hi,

On 27 July 2016 at 10:35, Papa, Florin <florin.papa at intel.com> wrote:
> I am sorry, I mistakenly switched the header of the table, the middle column is actually the result for PyPy NumPyPy.

The resulting table makes sense to me: it shows that PyPy NumPy (with
cpyext) is, in most case, running at the same speed as CPython NumPy;
and the rare exceptions can be guessed to be because these benchmarks
happen to invoke a much larger number of CPython C API calls than all
the others.

The table also shows that PyPy NumPyPy is really slower, even with
vectorization enabled.  It seems that the current focus of our work,
on continuing to improve cpyext instead of numpypy, is a good idea.

A bientôt,

Armin.