[pypy-dev] PyPy JIT & C extensions

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 25 05:12:21 CEST 2010

Hi Folks:

> --- On Thu, 9/30/10, Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org>
> wrote:
>
> > From: Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org>
> > Subject: Re: [pypy-dev] PyPy JIT & C extensions,
> greenlet
> > To: "Andrew Francis" <andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com>
> > Cc: pypy-dev at codespeak.net
> > Date: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 5:25 AM
>

> > Maybe I should expand on an idea posted on #pypy by
> > fijal.  He mentioned that he would like to try to
> support Stackless in PyPy without using the stackless transform,
>>just by using the same low-level stack hacks that are done by greenlet.c
> and optionally by Stackless Python.  This means that there would be two
> > different approaches we can consider to support
> Stackless in PyPy:

A few days ago, I floated this idea in the #pypy IRC channel. Why can't we take a JITed pypy, install the greenlet package, run it and see what happens? After all, greenlet is a C extension module.  Hopefully this would provide a base line for work to be required? I am trying this but I am having a few hiccups getting setup.py to do the right thing. Since I am a newbie, I would like to know what is wrong with this line of reasoning?

Cheers,
Andrew