[pypy-dev] fast

John Leuner jewel at subvert-the-dominant-paradigm.net
Sun Jan 11 22:02:14 CET 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 21:06 +0100, Paolo Giarrusso wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 17:20, John Leuner
> <jewel at subvert-the-dominant-paradigm.net> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 06:57 -0500, inhahe wrote:
> >> With trace trees, hidden classes, aggressive type speculation, etc.,
> >> javascript engines run code about as fast as unoptimized C.
> >
> > What benchmarks/tests have you seen that show this?
>
> That's first a claim from this post, from TraceMonkey author
> http://andreasgal.com/2008/08/22/tracing-the-web/
>
> This is the benchmark saying that:
> http://shaver.off.net/diary/2008/08/22/the-birth-of-a-faster-monkey/
>
> And TraceMonkey is quite young.

Quoting from that site:

"The goal of the TraceMonkey project — which is still in its early
stages — is to take JavaScript performance to another level, where
instead of competing against other interpreters, we start to compete
against native code. Even with this very, very early version we’re
already seeing some promising results: a simple “for loop” is getting
close to unoptimized gcc:"

This claim about unoptimized C is only about a "for loop". We all know
that javascript and python execution involves much more than simple for
loops.

John