[pypy-dev] Random updates

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Wed Jun 21 11:10:29 CEST 2006

Hi Elmo,

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 01:36:54AM +0300, Elmo M?ntynen wrote:
> > I also found out that the test summary page at
> > http://snake.cs.uni-duesseldorf.de/pypytest/summary.html was doing a
> > great job at hiding the fact that the tests no longer ran to the end,
> > and that, for more than two weeks now.  Either test_ee in pyllvm was
> > getting a SIGIOT signal (people who ever heard about this signal, raise
> > your hand), or test_wrapping was segfaulting (unreproductably - fun).
> > I still have no clue why test_wrapping occasionally segfaults.
> >
> I reported a segfault some time ago (python2.4 specific), of which you
> can read in the archives, but no one seemed to be interested and I
> didn't want to push it. My post was about
>  compilemodule.py, but this might very well be related since they use
> the same code quite the same way I think.

No, test_wrapping is about something different than what
compilemodule.py uses.  The kind of wrapping tested here is only used by
external tools developed by Christian Tismer, which he meanwhile checked
in as pypy/translator/rool/raymond.py.  As I have no full clue about
what test_wrapping does (and it uses names like "test_asd", which makes
it crystal clear what the intent of the test is), I think I can live
with this crash for now.

Sorry for not having come back to you about the segfault you reported, I
could never reproduce it myself...

> The segfaulting itself seemed to me as a bug in python, but since it
> didn't happen with 2.5 (some other error did though =), I didn't see it
> as so important. Maybe I should've pushed it harder =).

So what is the current status: does compilemodule.py _demo work for you?
On several Python versions?

A bientot,

Armin