[pypy-dev] Failing stackless tests

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Mon Jul 24 13:51:02 CEST 2006

Hi!

Aurélien Campéas wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 10:36:13PM +0200, Armin Rigo wrote:
>> Hi all, hi Aurelien,
>>
>> The stackless-related tests are all consistently failing nowadays.  Some
>> have been failing for 4 days and others for 9 days.  See
>>
>>    http://snake.cs.uni-duesseldorf.de/pypytest/summary.html
>>
>> Given that you appear to continue to work on it, but without making
>> tests pass again, I'm a bit worrying exactly about what you are
>> doing?
>
> First, I did some (superficial, nothing related to the translation
> aspect itself) changes that allowed me to build a (somewhat
> non-crashing) translated pypy-logic using clonable coroutines. These
> changes indeed broke some tests, in ways that I don't
> understand. Please note that indeed most failing tests in
> /modules/_stackless/test are due to run-time failures, after a
> successful translation. Michael put in a fix last week which,
> strangely, yielded a working version on ... PPC arch only.
>
> IOW, wizards needed for these cases.
>
> I'll have a look at the applevel stuff in /lib/test2 (the 3 tests pass
> all independantly but fail when executed in sequence), since I'm more
> likely directly responsible for breakage there.

It's just not good to have failing tests checked in. If they fail for
good reasons and will probably work soon again, just skip them with an
appropriate message. Otherwise it becomes impossible for somebody
working in a related area to find out whether his changes were
responsible for the breakage.

>> That doesn't seem too much in line with the "test-driven development"
>> approach.
>>

> Yes. Otoh, it seems that I'm currently the only consummer of these
> features, so I didn't feel the urge to rush to fix them immediately. I
> will look at them today.

Well, that's not true. People wanted to try out stackless and couldn't
because it didn't translate. I needed to do benchmarks and couldn't
either. It's just a good general policy to have tranlations working all
the time.

Cheers,

Carl Friedrich