[pypy-dev] website update / pypy developments

Stephan Diehl stephan.diehl at gmx.net
Mon Jun 30 10:24:37 CEST 2003

On Sonntag, 29. Juni 2003 00:31, holger krekel wrote:
> - we discussed going for EU-funding. The general oppinion was
>   that the current Call for Proposals fits the possible targets
>   of PyPy pretty well. But going for EU-funding is by far a simple
>   task. We have already talked to some companies and are also looking
>   for research institutions that would want to participate in a
>   big EU-Project. After some discussions especially with Armin
>   i now think that we should promote as a goal to
>
>     dynamically tie into/adapt arbritrary C-Libraries and
>     operation system calls.
>
>   The latter would basically mean that you could use Python directly to
>   drive your favourite OS. Think rapidly specializing for whatever
>   embedded device without even a libc and doing that with 99% of the
>   code beeing written in Python.

One idea I had (not really worked out) is, to include some security measures
already on a language level. While this is not really important on small,
standalone applications (we have the OS security for that), there is
definatelly an issue with this in a distributed computing environment
(easiest case: web application server).
Anyway, if you think as well, that security could be part of the project, I'd
try to get my company (www.articon-integralis.com) to join (Knowing them, I
wouldn't hold my breath, though).
In addition, I know some people at German Telekom. Maybe they are interested
as well.

Cheers

Stephan