[pypy-dev] MinimalPython newbie questions

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Wed Jan 22 02:32:52 CET 2003

Hi Bengt!

[Bengt Richter Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 12:30:22PM -0800]
> At 15:34 2003-01-21 +0100, Armin Rigo wrote:
> >Maybe.  There are quite a lot of exciting possibilities that we can dream of,
> >given enough flexibility.  Starting from a high-level description of the
> >interpreter (the interpreter written in Python), Stackless microthreads can
> >easily be added (or not).
>
> I'm wondering how you will get to the starting point of the
> "high-level description" you mention by any automated means
> of translating the interpreter from C sources. I.e., you could
> even say
>     repr(file('/usr/bin/python','r').read())
> gets you a quick "Python source representation" of a big chunk
> of Python, but it isn't high level. Reading in the C sources into
> Python strings gets you another representation  [...]

I agree with your general direction.  However, Armin and Christian
have both proven something by realizing amazing projects.  Though
i have a different oppinion (where we too agree somewhat) on
the interaction with the CPython code base i wouldn't exclude
even "fantastic" approaches.  See my CPython<->PyPython recap
posting in another thread.

Btw, i am really eager to get to know some of your background.  I
have read a lot of good posts from you (mainly on c.l.py)
but have no actual clue what your are doing.  Mind to tell a bit?

regards,

    holger