[pypy-dev] Intellectual property

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Mon Jan 13 19:35:23 CET 2003

At 10:00 2003-01-13 -0800, David Ascher wrote:
>holger krekel wrote:
>
>>Could you give a small example scenario?  What could the PSF do
>>if Microsoft and Sun each claim that the project makes illegal use of some 1000 patents?
>
>The point of the patent clause in the ASF is that it's a mutual defense clause.  Various projects can defend against each other, thereby (theoretically) making attacks against each project a tad less likely.  The more key projects use it, the stronger everyone's defense is.  It's better than nothing as a patent defense, even though it's hardly the end-all and be-all.
>
>>Isn't it a very bad idea to transfer "IP" to an american institution?  Sorry, but the States seem to take the lead in
>>ridicoulous Patent and Copyright law with Europe following closely.
>
>Do you have any better ideas?  I don't disagree w/ the state of Patent and Copyright law, but I'm fresh out of alternatives.

Can a copyright notice forbid patenting of the expressed ideas, assuming
it's the first public expression? And if something is published today, is
it prior art invalidating claims of a patent application filed tomorrow?

Just wondering what defense can be exercised through copyright. IANAL ;-)

Regards,
Bengt Richter