[pypy-dev] Intellectual property

David Ascher DavidA at ActiveState.com
Mon Jan 13 19:00:25 CET 2003

holger krekel wrote:

> Could you give a small example scenario?  What could the PSF do
> if Microsoft and Sun each claim that the project makes illegal use
> of some 1000 patents?

The point of the patent clause in the ASF is that it's a mutual defense
clause.  Various projects can defend against each other, thereby
(theoretically) making attacks against each project a tad less likely.  The
more key projects use it, the stronger everyone's defense is.  It's better
than nothing as a patent defense, even though it's hardly the end-all and be-all.

> Isn't it a very bad idea to transfer "IP" to an american
> institution?  Sorry, but the States seem to take the lead in
> ridicoulous Patent and Copyright law with Europe following closely.

Do you have any better ideas?  I don't disagree w/ the state of Patent and
Copyright law, but I'm fresh out of alternatives.

--david