[pyOpenSSL] Traceback: first num too large

Junglecow pyopenssl.xlist.tbnt at 9ox.net
Sat Nov 4 08:39:09 CET 2006

Hi,

I am new to pyOpenSSL and OpenSSL. I'm currently trying to make Gajim run on
pyOpenSSL. This seems to be working fine, but when joining a room (any room), I
get this OpenSSL error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/tmp/gajim-svn/src/common/xmpp/transports_nb.py", line 244, in _do_receive
    received = self._recv(RECV_BUFSIZE)
  File "/tmp/gajim-svn/src/common/xmpp/transports_nb.py", line 57, in recv
    if flags is None: return self.sock.recv(bufsize)
OpenSSL.SSL.Error: [('asn1 encoding routines', 'a2d_ASN1_OBJECT', 'first num too large'), ('asn1 encoding routines', 'a2d_ASN1_OBJECT', 'first num too large')]

What is this error, what is causing it, and what can I do about it? Where
should I look for more information? Google is being rather unhelpful, and
searching this mailing list, python-crypto and the OpenSSL lists didn't turn up
anything useful either.

I am using python-pyopenssl 0.6-2.3 with openssl 0.9.8c-3 and python 2.4.3-8
from Debian testing.

If anyone wants to get their hands on some code to try, get Gajim svn using:
	svn checkout svn://svn.gajim.org/gajim/trunk gajim
and apply my preliminary patch at:
<url:http://trac.gajim.org/attachment/ticket/2499/gajim-pyopenssl-with-bugs-1.patch?format=raw>

If you just want to look, prettified patch is as:
<url:http://trac.gajim.org/attachment/ticket/2499/gajim-pyopenssl-with-bugs-1.patch>

For more information, see ticket at <url:http://trac.gajim.org/ticket/2499>

Please advise.
-J