[pydotorg-www] python2 EoL wiki "Python2orPython3"

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue May 21 18:00:26 EDT 2019

Ni, all. (That was a typo for "Hi", but it remains in homage to Brett
Cannon).

As the author of the "Migration and Coexistence" chapter of "Python in a
Nutshell" this is a topic I've been following quite closely, though more
from the "regular user" point of view than as a developer. I'd be happy to
take part in an email discussion about the shape and tone of the proposed
content, given the significance of this year-end. I can't guarantee having
much time to do the actual writing, but will undertake to at least stay in
touch with the process.

My own personal preference would be to wave a respectful goodbye to 2.7
from the (Python core) developer community, with encouragement to all who
aspire to the open source ethic to continue to breathe life into those bits
that remain useful. Probably the same question should be debated within the
PSF more broadly, since the Foundation might well be prepared to act as a
continued conduit for support to the Python 2 community.

The main thrust should definitely be "only if you absolutely have to, for
well-defined reasons." I could list some good reasons. The tone should be
forward-looking without sounding in any way triumphal or
self-congratulatory. With a definite conclusion that Python 2's future is
assured as long as it retains the same active community spirit that it
created.

Kind regards,
Steve Holden