[pydotorg-www] Permission to edit PythonBooks wiki page

dibya dibyachakravorty at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 09:37:30 EST 2017

Thanks for giving me editing rights to the Wiki.

I welcome your observations wholeheartedly as it helps me address
shortcomings of the site, if any.

You are right that Amazon has no information about direct sales from
publishers and subscription services. But assuming that popularity of a
book is consistent across different platforms of sale, this should not be
an issue. It can be argued that Amazon's rankings are in fact better
because people have to pay for each book (I only use Bestseller Ranks of
paperbacks and not Kindle ebooks).

Of course, we cannot ever prove anything conclusively. Therefore, the best
check of the quality of rankings is ultimately qualitative - and I have
verified with my limited amount of research that the rankings on
pythonbooks.org do reflect popular opinion. If you want to verify this, you
can do something simple. Just check the lists on pythonbooks.org and see if
the books that you liked the most over the years are consistently ranked
well on the website.

And if you indeed do this, let me know if you spot any glaring
discrepancies.

Best regards,
Dibya