[pydotorg-www] FWD: wiki down notice moved

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 22:12:13 CET 2013

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 11:08 PM, David Goodger <goodger at python.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 2:13 PM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > The problem with the news item that it completely misses the fact about
> > security breach.
> >
> > The purpose to make this visible on python.org instead of only
> > wiki.python.org is to urge people to change their passwords. Current
> message
> > fails to convey this.
>
> Right now, there would be no point.
> There is no way for people to change their passwords now, since the
> wiki is still down.
>
> Once the wiki is back up and people ARE able to change their
> passwords, such an announcement would be appropriate and useful.

It's not for wiki. I use the same password across all python.org services,
so I suspect that at least 5% of auditory use the same pattern.

> How about doing something to help fix things (volunteer!), rather than
> just complaining about what's wrong?

1. I rewrote a news item so you won't have to crack your head
2. No access to any python sites to edit the news
3. There is not enough visibility into the process or any roadmap, so I
(like other people) can't see what to help with
4. My help is not welcome here

I write this only because nobody else raised this point, and I shouldn't
write this to ML directly anyway.