[pydotorg-www] Quick webstats question

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Oct 13 19:07:05 CEST 2011

> 3. Does this mean 163,124 people downloaded that 2.7.2 Windows
> installer so far this month?

With the caveat that it wasn't necessarily people: yes.

> The reason I ask is because it would mean we average around 1.5M
> Windows installers downloaded per month for the last year, unless of
> course I am misunderstanding what that page means.

It's indeed amazing. Guido has been keeping track of these numbers
for the last 10 or twenty years, and uses them occasionally in talks;
seeing them develop is even more amazing. On the  one hand, this is
only downloads, not installations. On the other hand, ActivePython
is also in widespread use, and not even accounted for in these numbers.

Also for some time now, MSI downloads by far exceed source downloads.
Given that primary users of source downloads would be Unix users that
build Python for themselves. However, given that Linux and OSX have
been including Python for quite some time, users of those systems
don't download from python.org (anymore), unless they want the most
recent release or a custom build. In summary, I find it even more
amazing that Python is part of the operating system now - I wish
it would also be part of Windows :-)

Regards,
Martin