[pydotorg-www] Quick webstats question

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Oct 12 17:42:33 CEST 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011, Brian Curtin wrote:

> This seems self explanatory, but I just wanted a quick sanity check
> before I use these numbers in a report...
>
> 1. Open http://www.python.org/webstats/url_201110.html
> 2. Do a CTRL-F for "/ftp/python/2.7.2/python-2.7.2.msi". The hit count
> is "163124"
> 3. Does this mean 163,124 people downloaded that 2.7.2 Windows
> installer so far this month?
>
> The reason I ask is because it would mean we average around 1.5M
> Windows installers downloaded per month for the last year, unless of
> course I am misunderstanding what that page means.

Nitpick: that's the number of installers downloaded, not the number of
people downloading.  Consider e.g. someone has an automated process for
setting up a build machine that rebuilds from scratch each time
(including download from python.org).  But it's a rough proxy.

until you hire an amateur."  --Red Adair