[pydotorg-www] Proposal: dev.pypi.python.org

Michael Foord mfoord at python.org
Mon Apr 4 16:25:56 CEST 2011

On 04/04/2011 15:14, Carl Karsten wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 4:34 AM, Michael Foord <mfoord at python.org
> <mailto:mfoord at python.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 04/04/2011 03:01, Richard Jones wrote:
>
>         On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 9:14 AM, "Martin v.
>         Löwis"<martin at v.loewis.de <mailto:martin at v.loewis.de>>  wrote:
>
>                 That sounds awesome, especially for testing tools that
>                 have to interact
>                 with pypi.
>
>             Actually, for testing tools, I think the requirements are
>             quite
>             different: you want concurrent runs of the same test case
>             on multiple
>             machines, so you need to make sure they don't collide.
>
>             So for that use case, I rather suggest to setup an
>             installation that
>             allows dynamic creation of PyPI instances, each one good
>             for only an
>             hour. Their URLs would be test.pypi.python.org/
>             <http://test.pypi.python.org/><generatedid>.
>
>         I believe such tests should be run against a mocked PyPI so
>         the test
>         has complete control over responses and error cases.
>

>     For integration level tests running against a mocked server is
>     fine. However if pypi behaviour changes your mocks won't reflect
>     that, so your tests could be passing but your code broken. For
>     functional level tests you ideally want to run against a  *real*
>     implementation of pypi - preferably local (and under your control)
>     but having a dev server to run against would be the next best thing.
>

> Can you give an example of "pypi behaviour changes" - I am not
> gripping what you mean.

If the API changes, or even corner cases where your mocks behave
differently, then testing against a mock instead of the real thing will
bite you.

For testing there are two competing principles that you have to balance
- don't depend on external services for your tests, but also do
end-to-end tests against *real* APIs / services / clients.

For this particular case having a locally running pypi would be ideal.
Having configurable online instances is next best, a single online dev
test bed the third best. All are better than *just* testing against mocks.

Michael

--
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

May you do good and not evil