[pydotorg-www] Proposal: dev.pypi.python.org

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Mon Apr 4 16:14:50 CEST 2011

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 4:34 AM, Michael Foord <mfoord at python.org> wrote:

> On 04/04/2011 03:01, Richard Jones wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 9:14 AM, "Martin v. Löwis"<martin at v.loewis.de>
>>  wrote:
>>
>>> That sounds awesome, especially for testing tools that have to interact
>>>>
>>> Actually, for testing tools, I think the requirements are quite
>>> different: you want concurrent runs of the same test case on multiple
>>> machines, so you need to make sure they don't collide.
>>>
>>> So for that use case, I rather suggest to setup an installation that
>>> allows dynamic creation of PyPI instances, each one good for only an
>>> hour. Their URLs would be test.pypi.python.org/<generatedid>.
>>>
>> I believe such tests should be run against a mocked PyPI so the test
>> has complete control over responses and error cases.
>>

> For integration level tests running against a mocked server is fine.
> However if pypi behaviour changes your mocks won't reflect that, so your
> tests could be passing but your code broken. For functional level tests you
> ideally want to run against a  *real* implementation of pypi - preferably
> local (and under your control) but having a dev server to run against would
> be the next best thing.

Can you give an example of "pypi behaviour changes" - I am not gripping what
you mean.

I think a goal should be push button deployment: it should be easy for
someone to setup an instance for development, QA, production.   I have does
this for the PyCon site:
https://gitorious.org/vms/vms/blobs/master/README.txt   This is the first
time I have done this, so I am sure it has room for improvement,  but it is
better than typing things at a command prompt.

--
Carl K