[pydotorg-www] Analytics

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Apr 25 22:33:44 CEST 2010

>> -1 on Google Analytics, for the privacy reasons. I don't believe you
>> need JavaScript in the browser for it to do tracking, but with
>> JavaScript, even more information gets collected.
>>

> Without Javascript it is very difficult to accurately track users

You misunderstood, I think. I was not claiming that it is in principle
possible to do tracking without JavaScript, but that Google Analytics
*actually* works without users having Javascript enabled - it may be
difficult, but Google Analytics is also very advanced.

>> Here in Germany, it is the law that users have to opt in to have
>> personal data being collected, and IP addresses are considered personal
>> information. So strictly speaking, even a plain webserver log without
>> user consent is against the law (the one exception being operational
>> necessity).
>
> This is irrelevant to Python.org though.

It is relevant. There is a reasoning behind these laws, and that applies
to python.org as well.

Regards,
Martin