[Pydotorg-redesign] I think that the current site structure needs to be scrapped altogether.

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Sep 21 13:40:38 EDT 2003

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003, Dylan Reinhardt wrote:

> We're currently ignoring 90% of our customers and it shows.  The
> web site is virtually useless as a tool for reaching or converting
> anyone who isn't already bought in.  We're holding potential converts
> at arm's length.  The site is unfriendly, cold, and unattractive.
> Nothing about it is going to enhance our reputation or build our user
> base.

That's opinion, not fact.  We still have not achieved consensus about
design goals, not even talking about the extent to which the current
design does or does not achieve those goals.

> Well, here's the problem.  The people who are willing to expend work on
> a real redesign are not the same people as those who are currently in
> charge of www.python.org.  We're left spinning our wheels because the
> people who have decision-making authority appear to think that the site
> is actually pretty good.  By almost anything other than open source
> hacker standards, it is not.

Again opinion.  If you look at successful sites such as Amazon.com or
cnn.com, I think it's hard to argue that python.org does significantly
worse at the organizational level.

--Bill Harlan