[Pydotorg-redesign] how to search the site

Simon Willison cs1spw at bath.ac.uk
Sat Sep 13 15:30:49 EDT 2003

A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 09:49:50AM +0200, Laura Creighton wrote:
>
>>Has this idea come up before?  It strikes me as obvious.  Will we
>>end up hurting somebody's feelings at infoseek if we deep-six it?
> >
> +1.  Google already makes it straightforward to add a form to search
> your own site with Google (http://www.google.com/services/free.html).
>
> Google requires no sysadmin effort on our part and provides a better
> search.  Infoseek is a commercial company that uses Python, which is
> good, but wanting to support them is no reason to saddle python.org readers
> with weaker search features.

Alternatively, how about building a search engine on top of the
excellent lupy (a port of the open source Lucene Java search engine)?
 From my admittedly limited experience of Lupy it is a truly excellent
product - it provides a very powerful API for indexing documemts, and a
simple interface for running searches on them.

I've been trying it out on a collection of 800 documents and searches
complete in 0.02 seconds, running on my Windows desktop PC.

http://www.divmod.org/Lupy/

Regards,

Simon Willison
http://simon.incutio.com/