[Pydotorg-redesign] how to search the site

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Thu Sep 11 03:49:50 EDT 2003

One of the reasons I dislike python.org is that you pretty much have
to know where there links you want are, so you can click on them.
You have a handful of bookmarks, and navigate from there.  (At least
I do).  This is despite having a search engine.  For some reason it
never works to display the information I want.

This is in contrast to John Walker's site http://www.fourmilab.ch/
where I can use Google to find anything I want.

My conclusion is that Google does a better job than Infoseek.  The
question is, couldn't we get a Google search for Python.org?  With
a button to search all the comp.lang.python articles via google
groups as well? If I were Peter Norvig, I would give us one for
free in exchange for a note saying 'Google is powered by Python',
which we wanted to say anyway.

Has this idea come up before?  It strikes me as obvious.  Will we
end up hurting somebody's feelings at infoseek if we deep-six it?

Laura