[Pydotorg-redesign] Design, Logo's, Images

Walter Dörwald walter at livinglogic.de
Wed Aug 13 20:25:58 EDT 2003

Matt Goodall wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 17:08, Walter Dörwald wrote:
>
> [...]
>> On the start page
>>(i.e. level 0 of the navigation) level 1 and 2 of the navigation are
>>unfolded. What happens when you click on a level 1 link? Will all other
>>level 1 links be folded, i.e. would the navigation look like this:
>>
>> > About
>>      For Beginners
>>      For Developers
>>      For Business
>>   Download
>>   Documentation
>>   Community
>
> First, something solid to think about ...
>
> If possible, I think we should aim for _no_ folding at all although that
> depends on just how many links are needed in the menu.

What does that mean?

Will the level 2 pages appear as level 1 links on a level 1 page, i.e.
would the navigation bar on the "About page" simply look like this:

    For Beginners
    For Developers
    For Business

with the look of the first level links (i.e. brown background, block
border)?

IMHO this is more confusing that at least keeping the level 1 page
that is in the path in the navigation bar. The siblings of the level 1
page could be hidden though:

 > About
      For Beginners
      For Developers
      For Business

> ... and now something decidedly wobbly, which is probably best ignored
> ;) ...

OK! ;)

 > [...]
> I think if the menu gets 2 levels deep then it's too deep. Also, the
> more levels there are, the shorter the link text can be - the menu needs
> to be as thin as possible to leave room for the actual content.

We already have three levels: The homepage is level 0, "About" is
level 1 and "About">"For Beginners" is level 2.

Indenting a level 3 page by 10 pixels shouldn't make the navigation
too wide.

>>What happens on lower levels (if we ever have them)?
>
> I don't even want to think about that ;-).

So "Home">"Documentation">"Library Reference" )or
"Home">"Developers">"PEPs") is only one page and doesn't have any
subpages?

Bye,
    Walter Dörwald