[Pydotorg-redesign] The Zope question

Kevin Altis altis at semi-retired.com
Fri Aug 8 17:04:20 EDT 2003

> From: Jack Jansen
>
> On vrijdag, aug 8, 2003, at 23:31 Europe/Amsterdam, Skip Montanaro
> wrote:
>

> >     Tim> I can see a lot of advantages too. What are the disadvantages
> >     Tim> though?
> >
> > Since I'm the person who's posted what I feel to be some Zope
> > disadvantages
> > over on marketing-python, I'll refer you to my two most recent posts:
> >

> > http://pythonology.org/pipermail/marketing-python/2003-August/
> > 004642.html
> >
> > http://pythonology.org/pipermail/marketing-python/2003-August/
> > 004645.html
>
> In addition to those disadvantages, with which I pretty much agree, I
> fail
> to see any *real* advantages to using Zope ("real" here as opposed to
> the
> publicity value/eat your own dogfood thing).
>
> Zope shines when you have lots of active content, we don't. Zope shines
> when
> you have distinct groups of designers, programmers and content people,
> we
> don't. Zope shines when you need to enforce complicated permissions, we
> don't.
>
> Given the group of people on pydotorg ht2html+cvs+rsync strikes me as
> being
> spot-on as the right set of tools for the job. There's definitely of
> room for
> improvement (staging, for instance, or an easier way to get out of the
> rigid ht2html patrix layout), but I see no reason for more than
> evolutionary
> change.

That sums up the issue pretty well, the people and process of today versus
where we might go in the future. Also, you touched on why change is or isn't
needed and the timeframe. python.org is being maintained today in what I
would describe as, not surprisingly, a way that only appeals to sys admin
and programmer types and the process doesn't scale well. I understand why
the current process is what it is, but as part of the redesign process we
said we were going to improve the day to day maintainence and reduce the
workload of the people involved.

At the heart of the Zope issue is that of using a content management system
(CMS) more sophisticated than cvs and a script to apply a template. Some
sort of CMS is almost certainly needed before the day to day content updates
can be handled by new blood that are less command-line oriented and the
system can tolerate a mistyped command or flag. Writers, editorial,
managers, designers, etc. that normally drive day to day site changes can't
really use the current system.

I'll go ahead and say that I think it would be a nice goal to be able to
have python.org content managed by those kinds of folks and not the
programmers who would rather be doing something else with their time. Of
course, many of the same people managing content today will also want to
contribute in the future, so the CMS has to balance their usage requirements
too.

I'm not advocating Zope here, I'm just trying to define what the real needs
are today as well as what they would be in the future to continue to improve
the python.org site. Please add to or correct the answers below. I'm just
gonna braindump some ideas in no particular order.

Q: Should we have a staging server?