[Pydotorg-redesign] The Zope question

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Sat Aug 9 00:57:40 EDT 2003

On vrijdag, aug 8, 2003, at 23:31 Europe/Amsterdam, Skip Montanaro
wrote:

>     Tim> I can see a lot of advantages too. What are the disadvantages
>     Tim> though?
>
> Since I'm the person who's posted what I feel to be some Zope
> disadvantages
> over on marketing-python, I'll refer you to my two most recent posts:
>

> http://pythonology.org/pipermail/marketing-python/2003-August/
> 004642.html
>
> http://pythonology.org/pipermail/marketing-python/2003-August/
> 004645.html

In addition to those disadvantages, with which I pretty much agree, I
fail
to see any *real* advantages to using Zope ("real" here as opposed to
the
publicity value/eat your own dogfood thing).

Zope shines when you have lots of active content, we don't. Zope shines
when
you have distinct groups of designers, programmers and content people,
we
don't. Zope shines when you need to enforce complicated permissions, we
don't.

Given the group of people on pydotorg ht2html+cvs+rsync strikes me as
being
spot-on as the right set of tools for the job. There's definitely of
room for
improvement (staging, for instance, or an easier way to get out of the
rigid ht2html patrix layout), but I see no reason for more than
evolutionary
change.
--
- Jack Jansen        <Jack.Jansen at oratrix.com>