[Pandas-dev] Using a phrase "Similar to Pandas DataFrame" in other projects

Niranda Perera niranda.perera at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 18:04:12 EDT 2021

Hi all,

We are working on a distributed memory parallel runtime, "Cylon" (
https://github.com/cylondata/cylon). Cylon has a different execution model
compared to Dask Distributed or Ray DF. It is using the bulk synchronous
parallel model for execution. So, essentially, Cylon provides a distributed
DataFrame for MPI-like environments.

In our upcoming release, we have added a Python DataFrame API "Similar to
Pandas DataFrame". When we checked the Pandas License it has the clause,
"prohibits others from using the name of the project or its contributors to
promote derived products without written consent."
On the other hand, we have seen third party projects listed under
"Ecosystem" on the Pandas website (
https://pandas.pydata.org/community/ecosystem.html)

So, we were wondering,
1. What is the process to get the "written consent" to use Pandas name in
Cylon project material (documentation, GitHub, etc)
2. What are the requirements a project needs to fulfill, to be listed under
the Pandas Ecosystem?

Thank you
Best

--