[Pandas-dev] Tidelift

Jeff Reback jeffreback at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 21:34:06 EDT 2019

> One risk to be aware of is that if a high profile
> project like pandas take's TL's money and none of the maintainers pay
> themselves with it, then the monthly number may not have as much of a
> chance of increasing (since current or prospective TL customers may
> observe that the subscription dollars aren't being used in the way
> that is being pitched).

I actually see the exact opposite here. A project of pandas stature that
decides to better the project is a pretty respectable goal.

I believe we would be in the letter and more importantly the spirit of
Tidelift for the pandas project itself to take this burden & receive the
income. Having the project itself with the combined
force of multiple maintainers actually would be much more comforting (from
the customer's perspective), than a single maintainer (who may not always
be there).

Furthermore, we could use these funds for the combined benefit of the
project, mainly I think for gatherings like the upcoming sprints. I am not
sure many of you know, but pandas has not actively solicited *any* monies,
and only received 2 largish contributions over the years, which are the
majority of our current funds. The tidelift agreement looks to provide a
stream of income which we currently do not have. With an income stream we
have options; without we don't.

We can always decide to remunerate maintainers who contribute to this
effort, though, this should be a separate discussion.

Jeff