[Pandas-dev] Tidelift

Tom Augspurger tom.augspurger88 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 09:03:15 EDT 2019

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 7:58 AM William Ayd via Pandas-dev <
pandas-dev at python.org> wrote:

> Just some counterpoints to consider:
>
> - $ 3,000 a month isn’t really that much, and if it’s just a number that a
> well-funded company chose for us chances are they are benefiting from it
> way more than we are
> - There is no such thing as free money; we have to consider how to account
> for and actually manage it (perhaps mitigated somewhat by NumFocus)

Perhaps Ralph can share how this has gone for NumPy. I imagine it's not too
work on their end, thanks to NumFOCUS.

> - Advertising and ties to a corporate sponsorship may weaken the brand of
> pandas; at that point we may lose some creditability as open source
> volunteers

Anecdotally, I don't think that's how the community views Tidelift. My
perception (from Twitter, blogs / comments) is that it's been well received.

> - We don’t (AFAIK) have a plan on how to spend or allocate it
>
> Not totally against it but perhaps the last point above is the main
> sticking one. Do we have any idea how much we’d actually pocket out of the
> $ 3k they offer us and subsequently what we would do with it? Cover travel
> expenses? Support PyData conferences? Scholarships?

Agreed that we should set a purpose for this money (though, I have no
objection to collecting while we set that dedicated purpose).

>>> Joris