[Overload-sig] Gmane may be shutting down

Kevin Ollivier kevin-lists at theolliviers.com
Thu Jul 28 15:11:13 EDT 2016

On 7/28/16, 11:31 AM, "Overload-sig on behalf of Guido van Rossum" <overload-sig-bounces+kevin-lists=theolliviers.com at python.org on behalf of guido at python.org> wrote:

>Oh, man! :-(
>
>It's the tragedy of the commons. The ReadTheDocs team is close to
>burn-out too, as is of course our own Donald "PyPI is not my middle
>name" Stufft.
>
>Companies using open source really need to take care better of their
>infrastructure, and we can't always look at Google or Mozilla.

Has Python ever dabbled with a sort of Red Hat like support contract system, say custom development services, e.g. optimization and debugging assistance?

I will say that until I joined these lists I really had no idea that PyPI largely (completely?) has fallen on the shoulders of one guy. :( Given the size of Python and PyPI, I would never have guessed that, though if it's any consolation to Donald, it does sort of make him a superhero. :) Honestly, after this major upcoming Nov. 1st deadline I have for my educational startup, if I haven't gone broke ;) , I'd be happy to contribute money, time or both. It's insane that something relied upon by so many has so few resources devoted to it.

Anyway, as it was in my case, I suspect part of the problem is one of awareness. I'm fairly certain with PyPI that a large number of people who could afford to pay would have real problems if it went away. Maybe blowing the horn would help? Do one of those Wikipedia-like drives on the PyPI index or Python itself?

Thanks,

Kevin