[omaha] Updated website

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T jeffh at dundeemt.com
Tue Nov 13 00:44:51 CET 2007

Hi Matthew,

Welcome to the list -- glad to have you on board!  I've played with
Gobby/Sobby but we haven't used it in an actual meeting as of yet.
Currently, where we are meeting the wireless is hit or miss.  I'm
trying to get us lined up for some nicer diggs but as yet we don't
have it.  When we do, them something like Gobby and some remote
audio/presence might be cool.  We python types seem to be spread out
quite a bit between Chicago and Denver.  I have a feeling that the
situation will change though<g>.

You are right about the Unix bias it has, I've had negative reactions
from some Mac users about using Gobby but hopefully that will be a
non-issue if they are local.

-jeff

On Nov 12, 2007 9:59 AM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2007 11:00 PM, Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T <jeffh at dundeemt.com> wrote:
>
> > I've changed http://www.omahapython.org from pointing to a wiki page
> > on the python.org wiki
> > (http://wiki.python.org/moin/OmahaPythonUserGroup ) to a tiddlywiki
> > based page.  Since it's incredibly easy to edit a tiddlywiki I'm
> > hoping to be able to take notes right at the meeting and then can post
> > them up to the web right after the meeting.  We'll see how this works
> > out <g>.
> >

> Hi Jeff, I'm just a lurker based in Des Moines, so don't get to come to the
> meetings, but was just curious if you've tried Gobby (or any of the
> *obby's)? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobby
>
> It works great on zeroconf networks and allows multiple people to view and
> edit a document simultaneously and see changes in real time. It also works
> well with regular LANs and over the Internet.
>
> It works awesome for sharing long-urls or snippets of code. I used it when
> participating in a lesson on Ubuntu packaging and it was extremely useful to
> be able to copy and paste the commands the instructor was using.
>
> The downside is that, like a lot of OSS, it operates on the premise that
> you're using a Unix-like OS and it has added Windows support as an
> after-thought. I hear it works well except for the zeroconf stuff (so you
> have to enter the computer name instead of having a select list).
>
> --
> Matthew Nuzum
> newz2000 on freenode

Jeff Hinrichs