[Numpy-discussion] NEP-18 comment

Sebastian Berg sebastian at sipsolutions.net
Thu Mar 7 14:18:12 EST 2019

On Thu, 2019-03-07 at 18:24 +0000, Frederic Bastien wrote:
> I see speed changes vs behavior changes as different category of
> changes in my mind.
>
> I understand that now importing library can slow down NumPy for small
> arrays.
> But I have the impression you tell this can also give behavior
> change.
>
> I do not understand why this could happen. A pure numpy script, that
> you just import dask or other library without using them, would just
> cause a slowdown. Not a behavior change.
>
> Behavior change's start to happen only when you start to use the new
> library.

Yes, but if a user can switch, downstream projects might change their
behaviour (my thought makes that less likely, but it is still a risk).

The best solution would be to just make things fast enough that we do
not have to worry about it. And I would not rule out that we are
already there.
Things seem a bit hard to time with all the C/Python boundaries
involved, but it seems to me that the actual time spend on the C-side
is reasonably low. The biggest chunk is probably that we have 4
function calls instead of 1:

  1. Public api call
  2. dispatch call (get arguments relevant for dispatching)
  3. Call C-side function implementing the logic
  4. Call the actual function

Improving that much seems like it might get ugly pretty fast. But I am
wondering if dispatching from within C for functions that are currently
defined in C already may be moderately easy (and also the ones with the
largest pay-off).

Best,

Sebastian