[Numpy-discussion] NEP-18 comment

Marten van Kerkwijk m.h.vankerkwijk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 14:02:17 EST 2019

Hi Frédéric,

The problem with any environment type variable is that when you disable the
dispatch functionality, all other classes that rely on being able to
override a numpy function stop working as well, i.e., the behaviour of
everything from dask to astropy's Quantity would depend on that setting.

As another alternative, in any call where you *know* that the input is pure
ndarray, you can already call `np.<function>.__wrapped__(...)` to call the
original code. This is *not* guaranteed to remain in place between
versions, but obviously for cases that the speed really matters, one can
use it.

Personally, though, I think it would make most sense to try to ensure the
functions are as fast as possible including the dispatcher check, since
that benefits all. My sense is that for quite a number of numpy functions,
there is lower hanging fruit...

All the best,

Marten