[Numpy-discussion] deprecate numpy.matrix

Alan G Isaac alan.isaac at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 15:23:08 EST 2014

On 2/10/2014 3:04 PM, Matthew Brett wrote:
> I teach psychologists and neuroscientists mainly

I must suspect that notebook was not for
**undergraduate** psychology students.
At least, not the ones I usually meet.

SymPy is great but for those without background
it is at best awkward.  It certainly does not
offer an equivalent to the notational convenience
of numpy's matrix object.

As far as I have been able to discern, the underlying
motivation for eliminating the matrix class is that
some developers want to stop supporting in any form
the subclassing of numpy arrays.  Do I have that right?

So the real question is not about numpy's matrix class,
but about whether subclassing will be supported.
(If I'm correctly reading the tea leaves.)

Alan Isaac