[Numpy-discussion] deprecate numpy.matrix

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 15:04:59 EST 2014

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 7:09 AM, Alan G Isaac <alan.isaac at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> Just to forestall the usual "just start them with arrays, eventually they'll
> be grateful" reply, I would want to hear that suggestion only from someone
> who has used it successfully with undergraduates in the social sciences.

I teach psychologists and neuroscientists mainly - you can get an idea
of the level I'm teaching at from the notebook I posted earlier in the
thread.

I can't speak to my success in any objective way, but I didn't hear
the students complain about the X.dot(Y).  This may be because

a) only some of them have much experience of or liking for matlab
b) some of them have the impression that Python is the way to go, and
they accept that this will mean some changes
c) not much of the code they see is of the form: X * (X.T * X).I * X.T
.  In fact, the notebook I posted was the closest to that stuff.  In
any  case I personally found it easier show the ideas using sympy.

Cheers,

Matthew