[Numpy-discussion] 1.6.0b1 installs stuff in /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/doc

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 15:12:49 EDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 14:08, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:52 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Linux distributions start to complain when data files (especially
>> documentation data files not used at runtime) are placed into the
>> Python packages. I would argue that it's the wrong place for them on
>> *any* platform.
>
> But they're not documentation files. The line is a bit blurry, but
> something like the numpy.i SWIG interface face is meant for using
> numpy, not documenting usage of SWIG and numpy (maybe most similar to
> what's in core/include/ ?).

Yeah, and they hate that, too. As the originator of that idea, I'm
loathe to push it any further. :-)

> The actual documentation of how to use
> numpy.i is included in the reference guide, and is not present in that
> dir.
>
> Perhaps to make clear this is not documentation, put it in something
> like numpy/interfacing/swig/, etc.?

Well, they're meant to be copied into your own code, which is why they
end up under a doc/ directory. Lots of things like this tend to end up
in doc/ directories.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."