[Numpy-discussion] 1.6.0b1 installs stuff in /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/doc

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 31 15:08:51 EDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:52 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 13:39, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> It's not clear to me how they were included in the Windows .exe
>>> installer originally (the original ticket that led to this
>>> change[1088]). I don't think it was through the generic setup.py. The
>>> proper fix would probably be something specific to each binary
>>> installer.
>>>
>>> [1088] http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/1088
>>
>> I'm not sure how this was done at first (maybe someone remembers?), it
>> kind of hard to search for that in the history. But something specific
>> for each way of installing sounds fragile. The first question to be
>> answered is where these files should be installed to. The current
>> location is obviously wrong.
>
> Well, the answer is different for each platform. That's why it ought
> to be up to each binary installer.
>
>> If it is under numpy/doc/swig/ etc. then moving them there in the
>> source tree itself seems logical. Those dirs are not used to build the
>> user and reference guides, so there's no need for them to stay where
>> they are.
>
> Linux distributions start to complain when data files (especially
> documentation data files not used at runtime) are placed into the
> Python packages. I would argue that it's the wrong place for them on
> *any* platform.

But they're not documentation files. The line is a bit blurry, but
something like the numpy.i SWIG interface face is meant for using
numpy, not documenting usage of SWIG and numpy (maybe most similar to
what's in core/include/ ?). The actual documentation of how to use
numpy.i is included in the reference guide, and is not present in that
dir.

Perhaps to make clear this is not documentation, put it in something
like numpy/interfacing/swig/, etc.?

Ralf