[Numpy-discussion] Beginner Needing Help with Installation

Pierre GM pgmdevlist at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 16:57:03 EST 2009

On Nov 19, 2009, at 4:34 PM, Scot Denhalter wrote:

> I am a beginning programmer who is reading Natural Language Processing with Python. The book provides tutorials for working with the NLTK, which needs numpy to run certain calculations.  I have downloaded and installed Python 2.6.  I have downloaded numpy 1.3.0, but I cannot figure out how to install it.  I have read the Install.txt that is included, but I don't understand exactly what I need to do.  The instructions are clear enough for those familiar with the programming world, but I am obviously not the document's target reader.
>
> I am working with a MacBook Pro and do not have either fortran compiler installed.  Can someone give me some guidance?

Ciao Scott.
First of all, don't panic...
Mac OS 10.6.2 ? You have installed Xcode ? You're basically good to go.
* Install nose (I use pip for the install), system-wide is fine.
* Grab a fortran compiler here: http://r.research.att.com/tools/
* Unzip your numpy sources archive
* In the directory that gets created, enter in Terminal (or iTerm):
 python setup.py install --user 2>&1| tee build.log

The --user is to make sure that you install numpy in your Users directory and not mess with the system
The 2>&1 | tee build.log sends the messages you get during the compilation to a file build.log (that you gonna need if anything goes wrong).

That should be enough. If it doesn't work, then post your build.log so that we can try and check where it fails.
Let me know how it goes
P.