[Numpy-discussion] numpy via easy_install on windows

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 13:14:22 EDT 2009

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 1:00 AM, Christopher Barker
<Chris.Barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> David Cournapeau wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 8:08 PM, Jon Wright <wright at esrf.fr> wrote:
>>> I'd like to have numpy as a dependency being pulled into a virtualenv
>>> automatically. Is that possible with the binary installer?
>>
>> I don't think so - but I would think that people using virtualenv are
>> familiar with compiling softwares.
>
> not on Windows, anyway -- for the most part, people use easy_install
> with vitualenv. Compiling stuff on Windows is a big 'ol pain in the
> ^%^&$$, and remarkably few people do it. easy_install is quite capable
> of installing binary packages (except Universal ones on OS_X...), it
> would be nice if numpy supported it.

Numpy can be built as an egg. We just don't distribute the eggs.
Distributing eggs would mean going back to the whole SSE/SSE3/no sse
mess.

> It would still only work if the user was properly set up to compile
> python extensions -- not a very common occurrence.

But then what's the point of installing numpy in virtualenv ? Why not
installing it system-wide ? The whole business of pushing people to
install multiple versions of the same package for actual deployment is
very wrong IMO.

cheers,

David