[Numpy-discussion] numpy via easy_install on windows

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Mar 13 12:00:12 EDT 2009

David Cournapeau wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 8:08 PM, Jon Wright <wright at esrf.fr> wrote:
>> I'd like to have numpy as a dependency being pulled into a virtualenv
>> automatically. Is that possible with the binary installer?
>
> I don't think so - but I would think that people using virtualenv are
> familiar with compiling softwares.

not on Windows, anyway -- for the most part, people use easy_install
with vitualenv. Compiling stuff on Windows is a big 'ol pain in the
^%^&$$, and remarkably few people do it. easy_install is quite capable
of installing binary packages (except Universal ones on OS_X...), it
would be nice if numpy supported it.

> I now remember that numpy could not be built from sources by
> easy_install, but I believe we fixed the problem.

It would still only work if the user was properly set up to compile
python extensions -- not a very common occurrence.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov