[Numpy-discussion] large memory address space on Mac OS X (intel)

Sebastian Haase haase at msg.ucsf.edu
Thu Feb 1 15:01:48 EST 2007

Here is a small c program that we used more than a year ago to confirm
that tiger is really doing a 64-bit malloc (on G5).

<code: test64.c >
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
int main()  {  size_t n;  void *p;  double gb;
 for(gb=10;gb>.3;gb-=.5) {
       n= 1024L * 1024L * 1024L * gb;
       p = malloc( n );
       printf("%12lu %4.1lfGb %p\n",n,n/1024./1024./1024.,p);
       free(p); }  return 0;  }
</code>

Hope this helps anyone.
Sebastian