[Numpy-discussion] dealing with large arrays

Ivan Vilata i Balaguer ivilata at carabos.com
Wed Jun 14 05:42:31 EDT 2006

En/na Mathew Yeates ha escrit::

> I typically deal with very large arrays that don't fit in memory. How
> does Numpy handle this? In Matlab I can use memory mapping but I would
> prefer caching as is done in The Gimp.

Hi Mathew.  If you are in the need of storing large arrays on disk, you
may have a look at Pytables_.  It will save you some headaches with the
on-disk representation of your arrays (it uses the self-describing HDF5
format), it allows you to load specific slices of arrays, and it
provides caching of data.  The latest versions also support numpy.

Hope that helps,

.. _PyTables: http://www.pytables.org/

::

	Ivan Vilata i Balaguer   >qo<   http://www.carabos.com/