[Numpy-discussion] finding connected areas?

stephen emslie stephenemslie at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 20:41:17 EDT 2006

I have used adaptive thresholding to turn an image into a binary image
so that I can locate a particularly large bright spot. However, now
that I have the binary image I need to be able to group connected
cell's together and determine their relative sizes. Matlab has a
function called bwlabel (http://tinyurl.com/fcnvd) that labels
connected objects in a matrix. That seems like a good way to start,
and I'm sure there is a way for me to do something similar in numpy,
but how?

Thanks
Stephen Emslie