[Numpy-discussion] rand argument question

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Fri Jun 2 15:34:08 EDT 2006

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006, Robert Kern apparently wrote:
> Changing the API of rand() and randn() doesn't solve any
> problem. Removing them might.

I think this is too blunt an argument.  For example,
use of the old interface might issue a deprecation warning.
This would make it very likely that all new code use the new
interface.

I would also be fine with demoting these to the Numeric
compatability module, although I find that the inferior
choice (since it means a loss of convenience).

Unless one of these changes is made, new users will
**forever** be asking this same question.  And either way,
making the sacrifices needed for greater consistency seems
like a good idea *before* 1.0.

Cheers,
Alan