[Numpy-discussion] A C++ library and the new array interface: the best approach?

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Mon Jul 3 20:22:32 EDT 2006

Dear Fernando,

A couple of quick thoughts:

A) Despite my love of Pyrex, it probably isn't the tool for the job --
it doesn't play particularly well with C++, and it would require you to
write custom code for every function wrapped.

B) It sounds like you want something that will more-or-less
automatically generate the python interface from the header files. To my
mind, this suggests SWIG or boost. Boost uses some seriously fancy (and
mind-bending) C++, which can either be a good thing or a bad thing, but
it certainly boosts compile time! There are doubtless other ways. For
example, perhaps you could try using gccxml to auto-generate something
like a Python/ctypes wrapper.

C) The core of whatever you do will probably involve writing code to
view a Tensor as an object that has the __array_struct__ interface. That
way numpy/scipy/whatever can use the data with no copying. So that's a
good place to start and whatever you learn there will probably be useful
regardless of whatever tools you end up with. You'll probably also want
the converse function so that you can view objects exposing
__array_struct__ (numpy arrays) as a Tensor.

Anyhow, that's not much, but perhaps it'll help.

Cheers!
Andrew