[Numpy-discussion] arrayobject.h (and friends) install location

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Thu Jan 19 06:02:04 EST 2006

On 17.01.2006, at 18:29, Andrew Straw wrote:

> Also, as for as I know, the only packages that install things into
> /usr/include/python2.x/packagename are Numeric and numarray, so I
> would
> argue it's not "standard", (although it may have lots of history).

Two of my own packages, ScientificPython and MMTK, do the same, so
that's already four. In fact, I don't know any package that puts its
include files elsewhere. Most packages have no include files at all
of course.

Another argument for this being the "standard" location is that it is
in the include file search path when Python modules are built using
distutils, and the path where Distutils puts them.. Yet another
argument is that it's about the only location where include files can
be placed without any necessity for client packages to know the
habits of each of its dependencies.

On 18.01.2006, at 02:18, Christopher Barker wrote:

> As a Linux+OS-X user, I've run into a number of these Apple "Think
> Different" issues, but I don't think creating an ugly, non-standard
> system to accommodate the fact that Apple like to do things
> strangely is the right solution. Apple doesn't maintain their
> python distribution well, or really play well with the python
> community, so many of us end up installing a new Python anyway.

There isn't much difference between MacOS X and Linux: on both
systems you need superuser rights to write to /usr/include.

On 18.01.2006, at 03:22, Travis Oliphant wrote:

> This is the important point in this discussion.   There was a
> reason it was changed.  I remember opposing the change,
> originally.  However, it solved a real problem and only required
> people to give up their arbitrary notions of where include files
> *should* be.  I don't see this as a real issue since you can get
> where the include files are very easily.

It's hardly arbitrary - see above. And I don't think anyone cares
where include files are, as long as installing them via distutils
will put them somewhere where another package installation using
distutils will find them.

> With that, however, I think it would be helpful for one of those
> people who use .eggs to clarify why it solves their problem to have
> the include files in their current location.

Also what their problem exactly is - I don't remember seeing a
description on this list. Perhaps we can come up with a different
solution.

Konrad.
-------
Konrad Hinsen
Laboratoire Leon Brillouin (CEA-CNRS), CEA Saclay,
91191 Gif-sur-Yvette Cedex, France
Tel.: +33-1 69 08 79 25
Fax: +33-1 69 08 82 61
E-Mail: khinsen at cea.fr