[Numpy-discussion] Trouble installing Numpy on AIX 5.2.

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Wed Feb 22 08:20:09 EST 2006

mfmorss at aep.com wrote:

>I built Python successfully on our AIX 5.2 server using "./configure
>--without-cxx --disable-ipv6".  (This uses the native IBM C compiler,
>invoking it as "cc_r".  We have no C++ compiler.)
>
>But I have been unable to install Numpy-0.9.5 using the same compiler.
>After "python setup.py install," the relevant section of the output was:
>
>compile options: '-Ibuild/src/numpy/core/src -Inumpy/core/include
>-Ibuild/src/numpy/core -Inumpy/core/src -Inumpy/core/include
>-I/pydirectory/include/python2.4 -c'
>cc_r: build/src/numpy/core/src/umathmodule.c
>"build/src/numpy/core/src/umathmodule.c", line 2734.25: 1506-045 (S)
>Undeclared identifier FE_OVERFLOW.

Thanks for this check.   This is an error in the _AIX section of the
header.  Change line 304 in ufuncobject.h from FE_OVERFLOW to FP_OVERFLOW.

>"build/src/numpy/core/src/umathmodule.c", line 9307.32: 1506-280 (W)
>Function argument assignment between types "long double*" and "double*" is
>not allowed.

I'm not sure where this error comes from.  It seems to appear when modfl
is used.  What is the content of config.h (in your
<python-site-packages>/numpy/core/include/numpy directory)?

Can you find out if modfl is defined on your platform already?

>A closely related question is, how can I modify the Numpy setup.py and/or
>distutils files to enable me to control the options with which cc_r is
>invoked?  I inspected these files, but not being very expert in Python, I
>could not figure this out.

The default CFLAGS are those you used to build Python with.  I think you
can set the CFLAGS environment variable in order to change this.

Thank you for your test.  I don't have access to _AIX platform and so I
appreciate your feedback.

-Travis