[Neuroimaging] Nipy.org new website needs a complete remake

Eleftherios Garyfallidis garyfallidis at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 05:58:18 CEST 2015

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 5:13 AM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 6:25 AM, Gael Varoquaux
> <gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Since it is the time to gives one opinion
>
> Sorry to be quiet.
>
> I don't have strong feelings about whether the new or old website is
> better, but Ariel saved us from a lot of frustration by moving us to
> github pages before the recent Sourceforge meltdown [1].

Nobody is saying something different about that. This is irrelevant to the
point of the thread.
I very much appreciate Ariel's push and work on the gh-pages.

> Eleftherios - your main complaint against Jeykll is that it's hard to
> render the pages before you submit a PR?

No, Jeykill is great but Pelican is as as great and in Python and supports
both md and rst.
So, as this being a Python project I would give it a chance.

> I don't think it's that
> hard - see http://jekyllrb.com  . OK, it involves installing something
> in Ruby via gem, but that's not a major burden, and pelican is not
> trivial to set up either.
>
> Pelican is easy to setup at least this is my experience from trying it on
my machine.
I haven't played with Jekyll to see if Jekyll is easier in some way.

> For the content - I don't think it's reasonable to ask Ariel to make
> the changes, any more that it would be for code.

I am happy to change the content my self and I will do. But are we getting
a bit too
formal in our discussions? Is it bad to disagree if I don't like something
or ask for
changes?

If you think it
> could be done better, then please, make a PR, surely that will not be
> much work, and will give the best possible idea of what you would
> prefer.

Matthew, my hope was that at least first people would agree to give Pelican
or Sphinx
a chance. If there is no agreement on that I cannot go and make a PR like
that.

I will make PRs on the content but first I need to see what is the
vision/goal of the portal.
Which is missing from the current version of the website. But I see that
Vanessa
is actually improving the initial design a lot. When that is done it will
be easier for
me to contribute.

Cheers,
Eleftherios