[Moin-user] xapian search: an unhandled win32 exception occured in w3wp.exe

Thomas Waldmann tw-public at gmx.de
Sat Apr 28 17:52:51 EDT 2012

> is there anybody out there who knows details about the xapian integration into moin?

While I didn't do changes recently, I worked quite a bit on that code
some time ago.

>  Yesterday I have reported that xapian index is not updated when a page is changed. Instead the webserver (IIS 7.5) reports an unhandled exception.

I can't help you with IIS specific issues, I never used it (nor would I
ever use it).

>   "Exception RuntimeError: 'maximum recursion depth exceeded while calling a Python object' in <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'> ignored"

IIRC, i had a look at that a while ago and somehow I got the impression
that it is a harmless python bug and can be ignored.

> - after trying to update a page over the web  a search for content of this page does not show any result. Even page content already searchable prior to the
>    page change cannot the searched anymore.

Hmm, that's strange.

> - When I now run the commandline script for the page I tried to update over the web the moin.log file shows that there is more than one update queued.
>   2012-04-25 17:03:17,438 MoinMoin.search.Xapian.indexing DEBUG updated xapian index with 2 queued updates
>   The number of queued updates for a page can be increased by trying to update the page over the web several times.

Sounds like it never processes (empties) the queue.

> I am really interested in solving the issue. If someone could give me a hint how to further troubleshoot it would be highly appreciated.

Well, if you want to help debugging this / determining the
circumstances, trying this comes to mind:
 * maybe use a more recent python 2.x version
 * try without IIS (try to reproduce with standalone server or apache2 +
mod-wsgi)
 * try a later / different xapian version
 * can you reproduce on moinmo.in site?

Please also file a bug report about this on the wiki (see MoinMoinBugs
page) and provide all details the template asks for (and everything else
you could find out).