[Moin-user] xapian search: an unhandled win32 exception occured in w3wp.exe

Mark Scheufele mark.scheufele at diasemi.com
Wed Apr 25 11:59:53 EDT 2012

Hi Moin users,

is there anybody out there who knows details about the xapian integration into moin? Yesterday I have reported that xapian index is not updated when a page is changed. Instead the webserver (IIS 7.5) reports an unhandled exception.

Today I did further troubleshoot the problem and here are my findings:

- I am able to update the index using a python script and calling the index.update_item(page.page_name) function (see original post for the complete script).

- when I run this script it updates the index, yet it also tells something about the following exception:
  "Exception RuntimeError: 'maximum recursion depth exceeded while calling a Python object' in <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'> ignored"

- the windows eventlog says that the Exception with code: 0xc00000fd has occurred. According to the following article
  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff540620%28v=vs.85%29.aspx the exception is triggered by a stack overflow which might be
  caused by infinite recursion. This would fit with the RuntimError shown by the standalone script.

- after trying to update a page over the web  a search for content of this page does not show any result. Even page content already searchable prior to the
   page change cannot the searched anymore.

- When I now run the commandline script for the page I tried to update over the web the moin.log file shows that there is more than one update queued.
  2012-04-25 17:03:17,438 MoinMoin.search.Xapian.indexing DEBUG updated xapian index with 2 queued updates
  The number of queued updates for a page can be increased by trying to update the page over the web several times.

Summary of my findings:

- the index can be updated using the the index.update_item(page.page_name) function within a script, although the script reports the following exception
  "Exception RuntimeError: 'maximum recursion depth exceeded while calling a Python object' in <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'> ignored".
- updating a page over the web produces:
	- unhandled exception within IIS
	- removes the page content from the xapian index (at least one is not able to search for page content anymore)
	- adds an entry to the update queue

I am really interested in solving the issue. If someone could give me a hint how to further troubleshoot it would be highly appreciated.

BR,
mark

Dialog Semiconductor GmbH
Neue Str. 95
D-73230 Kirchheim
Managing Directors: Dr. Jalal Bagherli, Jean-Michel Richard
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Gregorio Reyes
Commercial register: Amtsgericht Stuttgart: HRB 231181
UST-ID-Nr. DE 811121668

Legal Disclaimer: This e-mail communication (and any attachment/s) is confidential and
contains proprietary information, some or all of which may be legally privileged. It is
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. Access
to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance
on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.