[Moin-user] How to NOT let people create accounts?

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Thu Jan 8 00:55:36 EST 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 13:11 +1100, Karl Auer wrote:
> How do we turn off the account creation feature? I've looked at the
> authentication help and am not much the wiser :-(
>
> And, once turned off, how do we create accounts?

Thanks to Reimar Bauer for these leads:
> you can remove the newaccount action by adding to the actions_excluded
> list.
> You can create new users by calling the moin command
> http://moinmo.in/HelpOnMoinCommand#moin...accountcreate...

The login page, however, continues to have a link to the newaccount
action, in spite of the fact that no-one can actually use it. If they
click on it, they get told that it's not permitted and they should log
in first :-)

I solved this by editing the link out of this file:

   ./python2.5/site-packages/MoinMoin/auth/__init__.py

Unfortunately, since this file is in the shared MoinMoin stuff, it turns
account creation off for all wikis. Not good on a shared server.

So I took a copy of the MoinMoin package, modified the above file and
edited moin.wsgi to add a path to my copy BEFORE the path to the system
copy.

Works a treat now. However, it will need redoing every time MoinMoin is
upgraded, which is not so good.

The ideal solution would be for the login method to check to see whether
the newaccount action is excluded before it displays a link to it. In
fact, every method that displays a link to an action should probably
first check whether that action is excluded. "Excluded" is different to
"you need to be logged in for that", so the error message displayed when
an action is unavailable should not assume that the reason is that the
user is not logged in.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (h)

GPG fingerprint: 07F3 1DF9 9D45 8BCD 7DD5 00CE 4A44 6A03 F43A 7DEF